June 24, 2013

so much for growing spinach!

A couple days ago I posted some pictures of my garden, 
{click here} to see them :)

Today I did some internet research on spinach and it was just as a suspected - I let the spinach grow too long before cutting off the leaves. My spinach was bolting...

 The leaves get tough and bitter when it blossoms, from what I see from researching it. 
Once it bolts you need to pull it up from the ground...

  So sad, boo!

There were a few spinach plants that hadn't bolted yet, yay!

So I harvested about 1-1/2 cups of spinach leaves...

Now for the disgusting part that seriously activated my gag reflex - I soaked the leaves in water and vinegar to clean them (I thought I was just cleaning them). But something happened when I put the leaves in the water - caterpillars, and other very small bugs, started swimming for their lives. See the caterpillar...

I almost gave up right here. I seriously had to talk myself away from throwing these leaves into the trash. I started to think about the bags of spinach that I bought in the markets and how they always say "triple washed". So, I rinsed off the leaves and got new water and vinegar and soaked the leaves again...

Only 1 caterpillar came out that time. So I soaked them a third time in water and vinegar - Ah, clean!!!

So, here is where the mind over matter came into play - I decided they were clean and I could eat them. I had to forgot what I had just seen (and killed) and just enjoy the spinach. So I made a sandwich...

And E wanted to eat one too since they are his favorite and he grew them (he did not see me cleaning them or I think he would have given up all vegetables cold turkey)...

The lessons I learned today:
1) never grow spinach again - it was easier and cheaper to just buy it
2) always wash my produce, really wash it, like triple wash it!
3) I'm proud that I ate it after what I went through to clean it - I am stronger than I thought!

haha :)

Happy Monday friends! 


4 comments:

  1. I've had horrible luck with spinach also. Our lettuce does awesome and the spinach always gets worms. Good for you for still eating it. I'm not sure I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EW! Did u not see all the buys when you picked it? YUCK! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this made me laugh so hard. I am glad you went ahead and ate your spinach, after triple washing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have FREAKED out! I found a bug in my bagged spinach before. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!! :)