January 5, 2013

upgrading a jar of marinara sauce

I am a HUGE fan of Giada De Laurentiis' marinara sauce. My Step-Mom Joan makes Giada's sauce every Christmas Eve and I practically drink it up :)

Yesterday I was craving said sauce and all I had was a jar of Sprouts marinara sauce on hand. I decided to try to upgrade the jarred sauce to taste like Giada's. I looked on the back of the jar and it did not contain carrots, which I knew Giada's sauce did, and so I sauteed about 1 cup of chopped baby carrots in 2 tbsp butter until they were just getting soft, but not mushy. I poured in the whole jar of sauce and 1 minced clove of garlic. I let that simmer while I boiled the noodles (about 12 min). This was the BEST jarred sauce upgrade I have ever done. SO GOOD! The carrots add such a welcomed sweet balance to the acidic tomato sauce. My husband usually likes meat with his pasta and even he loved this dinner. Score!

the sauce...

the final result...

So good. Yum!
This meal has been added to our favorites!


3 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of adding anything besides meat to a jar of sauce. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Giada. Love her! I didn't know that she added carrots to her sauce. What a great addition. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!! :)