October 28, 2012

Sharing The Gospel Through Carving A Pumpkin

My favorite way to carve a pumpkin is to accompany the task with the gospel of Jesus! The pumpkin is our heart - sealed, bound up, and filled with slimy gunky sin. The Lord Jesus comes, and through the cross of Christ as the propitiation (payment) for the debt owed for our sin, He cleans out the sin and replaces it with Himself - the Light of the World. We then have the very presence and source of light inside of us, Jesus. We have been cleansed and forgiven, and we can SHINE for the Lord and for the world to see God.

Cutting open the pumpkin - giving our hearts over to the Lord...

The seeds, gunk and slime inside represents our yucky hearts full of sin...

I love Ava's face because that should be our response to the revelation of our sin and grossness before the Lord...

The sin is removed by the power of the Cross & God then replaces that sin and muck with his Spirit! What a gift to have salvation!

God places His light inside of us...

The light shines bright for all of the world to see!
"let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16


I am always on the hunt for ways to incorporate the Lord into our daily life and lessons. How do you teach your children about the Lord at Halloween time? I'd love some new ideas!! :)

UPDATE 10/31/13~
My friend Krista told me that there is a pumpkin prayer to say when you carve the pumpkin. Here is a link to one of the pumpkin prayers: http://hizkidz.net/2007/10/27/pumpkin-prayer/






6 comments:

  1. Not sure why I haven't thought about using pumpkin carving as an illustration of the gospel before! Thanks Janiene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cool idea! I love it! :)
    Blessings!
    Kristen @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post and great way to share such a big lesson for your little ones to understand and visualize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea. I love how the light shines through as a double meaning. Our church gave my daughter a sweet prayer to pray as you carve your pumpkin this year. I hadn't thought about posting it, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this before, and it's such a great idea! I pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!! :)