October 9, 2012

Italian Meatloaf

My husband said that my meatloaf tonight was the best he had ever had.
What a blessing to hear a compliment such as that!
That, my friends, made this wife do kartwheels in her heart! 

I asked my husband if I should ever make it again and he said YES!
He also said I should share my recipe with you all :)

So, a bit about my method of recipe creating...
I have this compulsion that when I open a jar of sauce, I have to use it all. Well, I never use an entire jar of pasta sauce on one meal. I usually have about a half of a jar of sauce remaining that I store in the refrigerator. I am constantly thinking of ways that I can use that sauce!! Tonight I saw the pasta sauce, I saw a package of ground beef that needed to be used tonight, and I looked into my pantry and found some bread crumbs. Meatballs I thought! When I went to form the meatballs I just stared at all that meat and thought to myself "cooking all these meatballs is going to take me forever!" So I changed my mind and decided on an italian inspired meatloaf. I thought, combining all these ingredients can't be bad! And I was right - it was delicious!

Italian Meatloaf
1.5 lb ground beef (85% / 15%)
2 cups unseasoned bread crumbs
3 cloves minced garlic
12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
a couple dashes of cayenne
1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1 egg
1/2 jar pasta sauce (reserve 1/4 cup of the sauce for the top of the meatloaf)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Combine all the ingredients (except the 1/4 cup pasta sauce) in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour meatloaf mixture into a greased loaf pan. Spread the 1/4 cup pasta sauce on the top of the meatloaf. Cover with foil & bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake an additional 15-20min. Remove from oven and let the meatloaf rest on the counter for 15min. Slice & serve.

This is what it should look like before putting it in the oven.
I did not take a picture of the meatloaf when it was cooked, fail! :)

And my favorite way to eat leftover meatloaf is to serve it cold, sliced thin, spread some mayo on wheat bread and eat it in a sandwich...


I hope you enjoy! 
This was YUMMY! 





7 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I am pinning it for recipe planning. :) I can see serving it with a side of pesto pasta. Oh my, I may have to make soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would go so well with pasta!!! Let me know how you like it Pam. Blessings!
      Janiene

      Delete
  2. Yum! I want a leftover meatloaf sandwich. I love that your recipe was inspired by not wanting to waste any sauce...good thing, this recipe looks great. And, how sweet of your husband to sing it's praises and want you to share it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo drooling over your left over sandwich!! Can't wait to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds great! I'll have to try it sometime.

    Thanks for linking up with us at Wonderful Food Wednesday!

    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!! :)